Our IVF Journey so Far | OCTOBER

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

If you read my last post, Vogue's 73 Questions, you now know a little bit more about me, and if you REALLY read it you will know that we are finally at the top of the waiting list for IVF. 



Now I say finally like the whole process has taken forever but honestly, it's gone much quicker than I anticipated. I think you hear all these horror stories about people waiting for years and then Covid came along and slowed everything right down but when it comes down to it I think the time waited is totally relative. By that I mean we'd been trying to get pregnant for 7 years (on and off) when we were referred for fertility testing so in comparison, the year we've waited from referral to top of the list, feels like no time at all. 

I know some of you may be wondering why it took that long for us to go for fertility testing but honestly, we'd spent so long trying we'd decided to let nature just take its course- in the interest of protecting my mental health- the pressure of trying for a baby and it never, ever working is a lot and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It wasn't until I contacted my doctor in June 2020 about irregular periods and some other symptoms and she suggested I may be perimenopausal that we revisited the idea of children. My doctor suggested putting me on the pill to regulate my periods but of course that would have ended any hopes of conceiving- no matter how unlikely that was- and we just weren't ready for that, so instead she referred us to Aberdeen Fertility Clinic. 

What followed was tests and waiting, waiting and tests. Damian had to produce a "sample" for testing, and I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound to determine what, if anything, was causing our infertility. 

Let me tell you, you haven't ever felt as confused as I did when the doctor doing my procedure exclaimed "I'm just having a wee bit of trouble finding your ovary." followed moments later with "oh what you doing all the way up there?"!! Like, what?? Apparently, my polycystic little doodah was chilling somewhere up near my ribcage. I could go into a lot more detail about transvaginal ultrasounds and what to expect but I don't want this post to be too long so I'll probably save that for another day. 

After she'd had a good root about in my uterus, and surrounding area, the doctor and I headed through to have a wee chat about what it means to have Polycystic ovaries (not to be confused with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and why that means that whilst I will have more eggs, post hormone stimulation, than the average person they might not be as good quality as the 10 a non-polycystic ovary would produce. In my case, I have 42 follicles that will be stimulated during hormone treatment which COULD mean 42 matured eggs may be harvested when I have my extraction procedure. This sounds INCREDIBLE but there is always the fact that 10 great eggs are better than 42 average eggs to worry about. 

Anyway, after this wee chat, we were officially added to the waiting list and that was 3 months ago, and now we're at the top! 

Being at the top, at this point, means that we have started doing our coursework (which is basically watching lots of videos about the process and the procedures that will be carried out) and filling in our consent forms. Once we've finished a HEAP of modules online we have an appointment to electronically sign everything off with our doctor and then the most important wait begins-but this one should only be 3-4 weeks!! Which means all being well. and all timings being as noted we could begin hormone treatment in early December. Honestly, pray for me, the thought of Disneyland with extra hormones is hilarious to me 😂

So, that's where we are right now. And I'll no doubt be back to fill you in on all the wonderful things that happen once the hormones start...did I mention that the needle they, apparently, use to extract my eggs is inserted through the vaginal wall? No? Well, now you know! 

Much Love 
AJ xx

 


Post a Comment