These Wingz were Made to Fly

Tuesday, February 07, 2017

So, recently I was contacted by the the lovely Sarah and asked if I would like to feature Wingz* on the blog, and i'll be honest, I jumped at the chance! I'd been interested in the product ever since Fiona tried them out, but with saving for Florida I kept not buying myself things that I really liked! 

Anyway I happily accepted the offer and got excited about trying this interesting new item, but then the apprehension kicked in, not about the product itself but more how I would write about them in a way that was authentic to me. You see exactly a year ago yesterday I wrote this post, a post about how finally at the age of 29 I had finally learned to love the body I'm in, but here I was accepting a product that was-in my mind-the perfect thing to hide one of my flaws. 
After a lot of thinking about it I realised I was beating myself up over nothing! Nobody can be completely in love with their body, all of the time, it is possible to love your body and dislike a part of it-we are human, we are not infallible, we are fickle and flighty, and multi-faceted...and that's just another thing to love about us. So there you have it, I love my body, but I hate my arms. 

Mostly I hate the skin on my arms, it's dry and flaky, and a little scaly. Some parts are red and inflamed, others are dark and discoloured...basically it's just a damn mess, and I like to cover it up (for my own sake mind, I don't really care how other people react to my skin- I just care how my skin reacts to air, and how I react to it) and Wingz are perfect for doing just that. 



Have you ever had a gorgeous dress that would be perfect if it "only had sleeves, ooh and pockets"? Or a short sleeved t-shirt that you love, but it's cold out and you don't want your poor arms to freeze? 
Have you ever experienced the overheating that comes when you wear a t-shirt under another t-shirt, or a cardigan over that dress? Wingz is the solution-they are sleeves without the top. They will make that strappy dress, that you wore all summer, winter appropriate. They keep your arms warm without making you a sweaty mess, and they are the perfect solution if you want to cover up for any reason. N.B. Sorry they can't help with the pocket thing though! 

I got to choose which pair of Wingz I was sent and although I was tempted by these beautiful lace ones, I went for the more sensible full length black set so I could pair them with most of my wardrobe. Now I should say that I made a slight error in judgement and picked the wrong size but that was my fault. I am generally a size 10-12 so erred on the side of caution and got the 12-16 size (I would probably suggest playing to your smallest size-as they do stretch) and they are a little too baggy around my shoulders and wrists, HOWEVER, they do still sit comfortably, and look great with my favourite tee. 

Now I know they look a little weird, and you may be wondering how they sit, so I bit the bullet and basically just took a selfie of my boobs for ya...THAT WAS YOUR WARNING turn back now if you don't want to see my boobs...good you're still here, I am surprised ;-) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



As you can see they sit just under your bra and on your shoulders. The material is soft enough that you don't even notice it after a minute or two, and because it sits directly underneath your bra it doesn't ruin the lines of your top or dress. 

I honestly really love my Wingz, and think that for £16.99 you are definitely getting value for money. Not long before I received my Wingz (ooh am I a Victoria's Secret Angel now??) I was looking for long sleeve t-shirts everywhere and none suited my needs-unless I wanted to give GAP £20 for a plain jersey long-sleeve top! This way I have a versatile addition to almost any outfit, they are probably the second hardest working item in my closet-it takes a lot to beat a dress with sleeves AND pockets :-p. 

28 comments

  1. I've heard about these, such a fantastic idea!! :) xx
    Holly ∣ Closingwinter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good concept, I know that exact thought of needing to add sleeves to something most times I put a low neck jumper on underneath lol x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! never heard of these before but loads of times in the winter when it's too cold to go short sleeved

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the tops of my arms either so these seem like the perfect solution x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there's been many times when I thought that 'this dress could do with sleeves, and pockets'!. At least there is a simple solution to the sleeves issue :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool concept! I've never seen anything like this before. I could totally use something like this on these cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently found out about these and I think they are a fantastic piece to have in your wardrobe. The versatility they will add is fantastic and I think they way they have designed them is really great x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a good design - it honestly looked to me like you had bought the long sleeve version of the t-shirt! Something I've not considered, but good as a lot of older women hate their arms and i also am not too keen as think they're too pale (not don't want to fake it) or too hairy blah blah lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an awesome concept! I've never heard of these before.

    Xo,

    Megan at Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and i love the concept of this. I will look into this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was really unsure about these when I first heard about them, but do you know what, they look fab x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a brilliant idea! I like wearing sleeves so might just get this

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never tried this one yet but thanks for sharing your idea. Would definitely take note of this in case I buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look really lovely. Great for wearing your summer tops when it's a bit colder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting idea. I've never hear of this product or the brand before. I've just looked at their website and they have so many beautiful colours and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thing the wingz are lovely, for me I would love them when it comes to wearing a strapless dress that you really want to wear but its freezing cold outside x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wingz are such a fab idea. I tend to buy things with 3/4 sleeves, so I don't think I'd ever use them myself, but I've pointed my mum in the direction of your review as she's been looking for something like this for ages :)

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not tried these before but I do think they are a great idea x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a lace pair, they are brilliant for covering arms or adding a layer to make a summer top winter friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are such a great idea and look great with a vest-tee! My mummy is much the same and hates bear arms...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post has just answered a question I've had lurking in my mind about a lady I know - She seems to team all sorts of clothes up with some sleeves but I couldn't work out how the rest of the sleeves were hidden! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wingz is such a genius creation! I love how they are comfortable too! I need someone in many colors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cool concept - hadn't heard of Wingz before. You've just tempted me into giving them a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't heard of this product before but it looks like a good idea! I'll have to have a look into them :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've heard about these they look really cool such good idea I was a sceptical but now I have seen them in a pic I get it now

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have seen loads about these and I was wondering how they would sit, so thanks for sharing your boobs, I mean.. pictures with us! ;-)

    Kirsty Leanne
    http://www.kirstyleanne.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the pair you picked - they look great with your t-shirt! And I don't think it's at odds with a body positivity/acceptance philosophy at all. One of the things I love about Wingz is the brand story - they were invented specifically to address an upper arm condition that the owner lives with. And anything that boosts one's confidence and gears you up to feel as fabulous as you look can only be a good thing, I think.

    Lis / last year's girl x

    ReplyDelete